Arriving in Malta, and exploring Gozo's Citadella and Comino



Late last Thursday i arrived at Luqa airport. Now, normally, I like to take the most cost effective transport from the hotel to my accomodation. However, after starting my day running around London, and then having a slight flight delay... I caved. And took a taxi.
Which actually worked out well because I got to see Mdina all lit up, and looking beautiful.



I had been checking the weather, and was expecting rain and storms the whole time I was in Malta. So, when Friday dawned mostly clear... I set off on an impromptu boat trip to Comino, Gozo, and Blue Lagoon.



I hopped aboard the boat in St Pauls Bay, and may have immediately made friends with two fantastic people from the Isle of Man, and gotten started on the included in the price beers. I mean, it would have been rude not to.



This was the first view of Citadella on Gozo. Admittedly, not the most beautiful view of if, but so majestic in its rising above everything else.



Having clambered aboard the open top bus, naturally, the heavens opened. Undeterred, I simply wrapped my shawl around me and marvelled at the bus fitting through streets so narrow I could reach out and touch the walls of people's homes.



Once in Citadella however, the sun came blazing out. I happily clambered about like a billygoat, and made friends with this little guy.



Looking back towards the mainland, over the medieval ruins of houses. So many were just abandoned and left to ruin as life became safer for people on Gozo.



After Gozo, it was time to get back on the boat, and then onto the speed boat, to tour the caves.



Watching the weather turn as we were out on the water added another element of excitement, wondering if we would get drenched or worse when it came time to disembark.



But the colours of the water were still so beautiful.

We made it off the speed boat and onto Comino, while the sun was still shining. I had the misfortune of being served a sandwich with a caterpillar hiding out in it, so then the fish off the boat got the fortune of having a yummy sandwich and a caterpillar.

Exhausted, I headed back to my accomodation to have a nap before heading off to the pubcrawl.

My first full day in Malta was incredible.

Sent from my iPhone

Comments