Tara`s Grand Adventure - Hamburg




When I arrived in Hamburg, it was once again very early in the morning, and very cold. I headed across town to my hostel, the a&o hostel, on the Reeperbahn, AKA the red-light district of Hamburg.



Chucking my bag  behind the front desk I headed back up the raod to a little conveience store i had seen to buy a new wall charger, because mine had come apart. Thankfully, just in my bag, and all the parts were still there, but I didn’t know that at the time, and I had a phone that was dying.
After a little bit of time spent sitting in the lobby of the hostel waiting for the sun to arrive, my phone to charge, and for me to wake up, I headed out in Hamburg.





My wandering took me down to down through the park housing the Museum for Hamburg History,  past Binnenalster Lake, next to which is the Hamburg Concert Hall, and finally on to the Rathaus (Town Hall) to join the walking tour of Hamburg.






We visited so many places on this walk, learning that Hamburg has the most number of bridges as any city in the world,  listening to the bells at the ruined St Nicholas Church, seeing the Deichstraße (the oldest remaining street in Hamburg), and ending at the Elbphilharmonie.








At the conclusion of the walk, the guide arranged a night life tour of St Pauli and the Reeperbahn, which I very keenly booked in to.
With a few hours to kill, I headed back to the hostel to shower off my night spent on the bus, and have a nap. Waking up five minutes before the tour was due to commence, I hurriedly smeared on some eyeliner, chucked on some clothes, and sprinted down the Helgoländer Allee to the meeting point at Landungsbrücken Train Station.

Kicking off the night tour with a beer from a small store, we headed up to a view point over the port, to finish our drinks and get an overview of the coming tour. Promptly following the defrief, we powered up the hill I had only recently sprinted down, and waited 20mins for everyone to go use the bathroom. We then continued down the Reeperbahn.

Seeing where The Beatleas had cut their teeth at the Indra Club.

Walking past Herbertstraße, a street that Nazi Germany officially tolerated prostitution on once it was gated, after not being able to enforce the total ban on the citizens of Hamburg. Now days women, and men under the age of 18, are still not allowed to enter, and will apparently be chased off by the women who work there.

At the conclusion of the walking tour, we were all famished, so headed up to the top of the Reeperbahn where there was a night food market, and got square hamburgers in the light drizzle.


Then, naturally, me and two lovely people I had befriended headed out for a quick drink at an Irish pub in the Redlight district, and I called it a night fairly early, ready for the next day when I would be heading on to Berlin.


Comments