Tara`s Grand Adventure - Berlin


I arrived in Berlin in the afternoon, excited to see all the city had to offer. Most everyone who knew me, and knew Berlin, had promised till they were black and blue in the face that I would love Berlin.
So I definitely had a spring in my step and incredulous grin on my face as I rolled into this town. Checking into St Christopher`s Inn, I headed down to the bar to devour my first currywurst. Enjoyable, really just a hot dog and chips, but the sauce was so delicious. Next time I am there I am buying a bottle of that sauce. 


I had happened to arrive at the hostel on the same night that there was some kind of app release party, targeted at locals, but I made some friends and joined in. honestly, when backpacking, anything for a free drink eh?

Three free shots of Jaeger later, we went and visited a spar, for takeaway beers (all so delicious) and smuggled them into a very swanky bar somehow. In the drunken early hours of the morning, we made plans to tackle Berghain the following night. 


Well the next day dawned, and I was a little hungover. I crammed in some free brekkie at the hostel, and joined the walking tour. Which then annoyingly put us on the tram into town. I would have preferred to walk into town for 45 mins then wait the half an hour I had for the tour to leave from the hostel. But, it was nice to travel in a group





Kicking off the tour at the Brandenburg gate, we took in all the major sites of the city, including the Holocaust memorial, the Topography of Terror, Checkpoint Charlie, the opera, and finishing up near museum island, where I took my lunch.











I had a look at going into the museums, but was so shocked by how expensive they were ( I can`t remember if they were actually expensive, or I was on a massively tight budget, or London museums had completely spoiled me) I passed and went for a walk instead. Mostly back to the hostel, via a circuitous route which included a donut, and then had a nap.








That evening, I met up with a beer tasting tour, which was FABULOUS. We learnt how to taste beer properly (it is an art form you know) and then went to a few different places to sample the beers.




At the conclusion of that, I raced off to a pub crawl with AJ, to continue the party. The night ended at Tresor club, which is definitely aimed at the tourist crowd, and I glued myself into the retro room. Leaving in the early hours of the morning, I was lucky enough that my route home took me past the Berlin wall, and the TV tower with a beautiful view of the moon.











Now, remember how I had been told by everyone that I would absolutely love Berlin…? Well, I didn’t. Not entirely. And certainly not as a tourist. The hostel scene was very party hard, and speaking my very limited German (basically can order food and be polite) and the cost of tourist experiences made it really hard for me to sink my teeth into the city. However, I think if I lived there I would absolutely love it.
Feeling utterly defeated, I spent the next full day entirely in bed, eating mustard and chip sandwiches, and drinking water I refilled from the bathroom sinks; napping, and watching Netflix.


I did drag myself out in the evening for a final nice dinner at a quaint Geman restaurant not too far from the hostel, where I had a lava beer and a pork knuckle, hoping that all that heavy food would send me off to sleep. And it did. 







Until about 11pm when a charming group of girls started to drink and get ready to go clubbing. For a good few hours. So the following morning when I ever so silently slipped out for my early bus, I accidentally dropped the lid of my locker, resulting in a terrible clang that would have unfortunately disturbed the slumbering partiers.
Grabbing a quick bite to eat, I strode off (in the wrong direction) to get my bus to Copenhagen. (don`t worry, I made the bus) 




This couple were so cute with their little table cloth and home made meals. So impressive.



Leaving Berlin actually felt almost as good as the excitement I felt arriving there, and it was really tough to reflect on my time there as being so much less than I had anticipated. But, I definitely have some unfished business with Berlin, and will be back there. Someday.


Even if it is just for a bottle of curry sauce.

Comments