Mayfield Lavender Farm


Last Saturday, I took myself off on a little adventure. It involved a leisurely stroll to the tram (literally around the corner from me), and then a slightly more arduous, hot, long, bus journey. Then a scramble through on a short, shrub-lined track.
I paid my £2 entry, and slipped between the endless rows of lavender, at Mayfield Lavendar Farm(along with a few hundred other tourists)
Somehow, I still managed to avoid my photos being inundated with strangers, and even found a quiet corner to tuck myself away in and just smell the roses lavender.
I made friends with a few thousand of these little guys, and managed to save a few from being underfoot for less perceptive visitors.
Quite polite these ones, they didn`t even try to have a taste of my breakfast.
Having satisfied my quiet reflective nature with an appropriate amount of quiet reflection, I moved off through the rows, cutting across alleys, scattering bees and children in my wake.
In parts, the lavender was so high and thick, it came up to my waist!
Thinking that life was pretty good, I ambled over to the coffee van, for a little midday pick me up. Ordered a lavender cream tea, took it to a table. And proceeded to be swarmed by bees. Who in the world thought that red jam was a brilliant idea in a place frequented by bees?!
I had to abandon my scone. It was scone forever.
It`s insides had become the tomb of bees, entrapped in the jam they so desired (is that a metaphor for life choices?!)
The only possible solution to rid myself of bees, was to destroy their home harvest the lavender.
Naturally, I had to call in some help to do that, and someone had helpfully left a phone box out in the field. I`m sure its for that purpose, and not just a prop...
I had a thoroughly lovely time exploring, smelling, being petrified, saving, and just experiencing  the lavender farm.

Truly heaven scent.













Comments