Edinburgh for One

Edinburgh was a dream.
It was my first solo trip that I organised entirely on my own, to take on my own, since I had arrived in London.
To say I was excited, was an understatement.
 I`m not sure if anyone ever is meant to look that happy at Euston. They certainly are meant to look that tired though.
It is a good thing these goodies were waiting for me in my private, first class, sleeper carriage.

This little bottle of joy didn`t hurt either.
 I arrived in Edinburgh literally buzzing with excitement. The hostel I chose to stay in, St Christopher`s (pretty bloody good), was just across the road. I threw my bags into a locker, and headed out to explore.
 I invariably ended up stumbling into the forecourt of Edinburgh Castle, where the military tattoo is held; after striding past men in kilts with bagpipes, owls, and way too many tourists for a cold afternoon.
Thinking to escape at least the cold, I head to the National Museum of Scotland. This place is a literal treasure trove, and it has FREE ENTRY(well, a donation).
 And inside there are the most wonderful things to get very excited about.
Or perhaps you prefer to get...revved up?
Climbing to the top of the museum, through the maze of exhibits, was well worth if for the views.
Finally, after nearly five hours spent within the jaws (see what I did there) of the museum, I left the museum to the screaming children in the science section(awesome, but noisy beyond belief).
Finding myself at Mum`s Great Comfort food.
 Indulging here in a very veg heavy meal, and a green smoothie Bailey`s Milkshake.
 The next day, I walked through the new town of Edinburgh, to the Royal Yacht Britannica. they had a fun game where children ( and I) needed to find and count all the corgi plush toys hiding in the ship.
I didn`t win.

Undeterred, I went on to make friends with this gorgeous, real life, plush kitty cat, whilst en route to Arthur`s seat. 
So...I still think I won there.

Having exhausted myself climbing the most direct, and surprisingly treacherous, route to the summit, my legs decided it was time to get lost in Edinburgh`s suburbs.
Though with views like that, I`m not even close to uspet. There really is nothing better when travelling than having the time to get lost and follow your feet. That is when you see the surprises, and get to know a place.
I stumbled upon this cemetery later that day, after walking easily 10km to do so, and it turns out my friend has relatives buried in there. I find that pretty incredible.
 The next day, I braved the crowds and took on the castle.

I walked through the great hall.
I posed in front on the palace holding the crown jewels (after lining up to see them, and being rushed out again).
It being valentine day and all by then, and my then partner being on the otherside of the world, i took myself back to the hostel for an early night. 
The next day I did another walking tour ( I completed nearly every different sort of tour on offer in Edinburgh #solotravelperks), I returned to the hostel intending to have an early night. But...trivia was on, so I stayed up a bit too late, and may or may not have had to scull the King`s Cup.
I then fell into bed, ready tackle the Loch Ness Monster the next day.

Having run up the Royal Mile to get to the tour bus as the engine was idling and doors closing, I was very happy that the monster would indeed not be rearing it`s head the day I was there.
Instead, I got to enjoy a leisurely spot of highland touring.
I returned from this tour to meet friends from the previous night, who invited me along to a Sikh Temple, just down the road. Of course I said yes, and I sat there mesmerised through the prayers and song, just enjoying sitting and listening and being surrounded by such a storng and happy community.
The shared meal afterwards was such a pleasure, to see all the different generations mingling amicably.
I went to bed that night very content.
the following day, I teamed up with the inimitable Chante to tour the highlands! Again!
We also visited the William Wallace Memorial( I really hope I have that remembered correctly), and seeing that it needed some extra support, were happy to lend a helping hand.
We then went chasing waterfalls ( sorry TLC) and found a number of logs, with these coins pushed in. Apparently done to have a wish granted, we whacked one in before the tour guide could say find a stone.
Edinburgh, and Scotland, Entirely stole my heart. It is one of the few places I have travelled whereinstantly loved it, and felt my heart being stolen with damn near every corner I turned.

Comments